Slow Cooker Recipes and Slow Cooker Liner Blogs - Slow Cooker Recipe
Posted by on 3rd Dec 2014
Cooking a stew can be the most rewarding task, especially in this colder season. Unfortunately, the task can sometimes become very laborious. You have to stay in the house because the oven is on for 4 hours, you have to regularly stir and add liquids, and there is often a very stubborn casserole dish to wash afterwards.
For these reasons, many people choose to cook their stews in a slow cooker. The benefits of a slow cooker means you can quickly chop all the veggies, brown the meat and whack it all into your slow cooker in a matter of minutes! You can then leave the house and when you return home, your delicious, bubbling casserole is ready to eat.
Chicken Casserole in the Slow Cooker
Before you begin, turn on your slow cooker to heat.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 200g shallots
- 350g baby new potatoes, larger ones halved
- few thyme sprigs
- 200ml white wine
- 500ml hot chicken stock
- 280ml pot buttermilk (optional)
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tarragon, chopped
Slow cooker chicken method
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown the chicken thighs for about 10 mins, until they have a nice golden colour, then remove and set aside. Tip in the bacon and shallots, and brown these, too.
- Place your slow cooker liner into your slow cooker and then tip everything apart from the buttermilk, lemon juice and 1 tbsp tarragon into your slow cooker. Simmer on High for 4 - 6 hrs, until the chicken is really tender and falling off the bone.
- Check the sauce; if you like it a little thicker, strain liquid into a pan and boil until thickened. Pour in the buttermilk, if using, and whisk until smooth. Sprinkle in the lemon juice and rem Simmer on High for 4 - 6 hrs, until the chicken is really tender and falling off the bone.
- Then all that is left to do is enjoy your meal and dispose of your slow cooker liner, leaving your slow cooker clean! Don’t forget slow cooker liners can be used to store or freeze any left overs
Recipe adapted from an original post on the BBC Good Food website
Slow Cooked Irish Stew Recipe Ingredients: 1 tbsp sunflower oil 200g smoked streaky bacon, preferably in one piece, skinned and cut into chunks 900g cheap stewing lamb like middle neck or scrag (ask at your butcher counter), cut into large chunks small bunch thyme 3 onions, thickly sliced 5 carrots, cut into big chunks 6 medium potatoes, cut into big chunks 700ml lamb stock 3 [...]