Slow Cooker Recipes and Slow Cooker Liner Blogs - Slow Cooker Liner
Posted by on 1st Dec 2014
Slow Cooked Irish Stew Recipe
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g smoked streaky bacon, preferably in one piece, skinned and cut into chunks
- 900g cheap stewing lamb like middle neck or scrag (ask at your butcher counter), cut into large chunks
- small bunch thyme
- 3 onions, thickly sliced
- 5 carrots, cut into big chunks
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into big chunks
- 700ml lamb stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 85g pearl barley
- 1 large leek, washed and cut into chunks
- small knob of butter
- Heat the slow cooker if necessary, then heat the oil in a frying pan. Sizzle the bacon until crisp, tip into the slow-cooker pot, then brown the chunks of lamb in the pan. Transfer to the slow-cooker pot along with the thyme, onions, carrots, potatoes, stock, bay leaves and enough water to cover the lamb. Cover and cook on Low for 7 hrs.
- Stir in the pearl barley and leek, and cook on High for 1 hr more until the pearl barley is tender.
- Stir in the butter, season and serve scooped straight from the dish.