Slow Cooker Winter Vegetable Soup Recipe
Posted by on December 16, 2014
Slow Cooker Liners love a recipe where you can throw in all the seasonal vegetables which you have in your fridge or cupboard. This slow cooker winter vegetable soup recipe is perfect for those time-starved people amongst us; it’s easy to prepare and all the cooking is done in your slow cooker!
Don’t forget to cook the soup in your Slow Cooker Liner so you can simply place the soup into the freezer in the bag.
Slow Cooker Winter Soup Overview:
- Pre-cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 8 hours (see notes)
- Suitable for home freezing : Yes
- Servings : 6
Slow Cooker Winter Vegetable Soup Ingredients:
Below are the ingredients for the slow cooker Winter Vegetable Soup. However, feel free to use whatever vegetables you have lying around, the only important ingredient is the potato as together with the pearl barley and flour, it thickens the soup.
- Onions 2 medium
- Carrot 1½ large
- Parsnip 1 medium
- Potato 1 large
- Celery 2 sticks
- Pearl Barley 75 grams
- Vegetable stock (3 cubes in water) 1½ litres
- English Mustard 1½ level tablespoons
- Tomato puree (paste) 3 tablespoons
- Dried herbs (such as sage, parsley, oregano, rosemary) 3 teaspoon dried
- Ground cumin ¼ teaspoon
- Plain flour 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Slow Cooker Winter Vegetable Soup Method:
- Chop the onions finely. Chop the rest of the vegetables roughly into small cubes.
- Set the slow cooker to medium.
- Place the ingredients in the slow cooker, don’t forget your Slow Cooker Liner. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except for 500 ml of stock and the flour.
- Slowly pour the flour into the 500ml of stock stirring constantly. Keep stirring for a minute or so. Some of the flour will be mixed in and some will form lumps, this isn’t a problem. Pour the stock and flour mixture into the slow cooker and mix everything well.
- Place the lid on and slow cook for 7 to 9 hours. Serve with chunky bread for a main meal.
- If saving for later, the soup can be frozen directly in the Slow Cooker Liner.